Whether you’re moving into a new apartment for the first time or the tenth time, there are a lot of things to need to think about before you sign the lease. Below are a list of questions to help you find an apartment that is safe, affordable, and convenient.
Questions about the apartment
- Is there damage that should be repaired before you move in or recorded so you don’t get blamed for it when you move out?
- Is there a working smoke detector?
- Is there evidence of cockroaches, rats, mice or other undesirables?
- Do the doors have deadbolt locks?
- Do all the appliances work?
- Do plumbing fixtures leak?
- Do the windows open, close, and lock?
- Are windows free of air leaks?
- Do the windows have screens?
- Are there enough electrical outlets for you?
- How much is monthly rent?
- What day is the rent due?
- When is the late fee charged?
- How much is the late fee?
- Which utilities would you pay for?
- Is there a security deposit?
- Are there other deposits for things like keys, cleaning, or pets?
- Are there other charges?
Building and Grounds
- Are they clean and well kept?
- Are they well lighted?
- Is the parking lot in good shape?
- Is a specific parking place assigned to each apartment?
- Are there laundry facilities and are they maintained?
Neighborhood and Location
- Is the neighborhood safe?
- How long would it take to get to school or work?
- Is it near a grocery store?
- Are the neighbors quiet or noisy?
- Is it near the bus line?