When you’re in college, Halloween can be a pretty fun time. So go out and have fun, but please stay safe with some of these tips.
- Safety first. Don’t wear super high heels if you aren’t used to them. Don’t wear anything that obstructs your vision. Dress appropriately for the weather.
- Don’t feel like you need to drink. It sounds like a cliche, but you don’t need to drink to have a good time. You don’t even need to go out if you don’t feel like it. Stay in and watch something on Netflix. Eat some candy and drink a mocktail.
- If you drink, don’t over do it. Know when to say when. Alternate one glass of water for every alcoholic drink. Make sure you eat a good dinner before you start partying.
- Watch your drink. Don’t leave your drinks unattended. Don’t accept drinks from strangers. Avoid drinking from punch bowls. When in doubt, pour it out.
- Don’t drink and drive. It’s illegal. It’s dangerous. Also, don’t get into a car if the driver has been drinking. Call a cab or an Uber.
- Don’t walk alone after dark. There are creeps wondering around on Halloween looking to prey on people. If you must walk somewhere, walk with at least one other person.
- Be careful driving. Watch out for little trick-or-treaters running out into the road. Watch for drunk drivers.
- Carry some emergency cash and make sure your cell phone is charged. You don’t want to end up stuck somewhere with no money and a dead phone!
- Trust your gut. If something or someone is making you uncomfortable, leave.