Who is getting a refund?
Since many schools closed dorms and dining halls due to concerns about the Coronavirus, they are now refunding the partial cost of housing and meal plans. Schools may also be refunding some fees – like athletic and student activities fees.
How do I know if I’m getting a refund?
Every school is different. Check your school’s website and your student email account. Also, log in your school’s student portal and check your account.
What should I do with this money?
Manage your money wisely. Sit down and think about your budget. What do you need to buy this semester? What bills do you have to pay? Write out all your expenses and sources of income using our budget form.
- If you have bills, pay them now. See if you can pay two month’s rent in advance. Buy some extra phone cards so you’ll be able to keep your phone on for the next couple of months.
- If you are able to pay your bills for the next couple of months, and you have student loans, pay towards your loans.
- Buy some things you need. Stock up on some non-perishable groceries, cleaning products, and hygiene items.
- Put money in savings. We don’t know when the world is going to open back up. Save your money now, so that you will be able to pay your bills later.
- Resist the urge to drop a large amount of cash on a new laptop or cell phone. Wait until the economy is better before you make a large purchase.